Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I wonder if everyone feels as I do writing this first blog: awkward.  A very new friend has convinced me to begin sharing myself this way, and I am flattered by her confidence in me and the excitement she has brought to the project.

"i still plant flowers" is my way of saying that I believe in the future.  The words do not imply that I am a Master Gardener!  Far, far far from it.  If they could many a beautiful plant, either inside the house or outside in the window boxes would testify to my genuine ineptness at tending them well.  I count on Roy, the husband of 57 years, to protect them from me.  I actually walk around the plants in the house in order to respect their space.  Works for me.

I don't like flowers from other people's yards or gardens. And don't bother spending your hard earned cash on a bouquet from FTD.

I love flowers that grow around my house.  I knew those plants when they were little and scrawny and weak and their stems looked like they could never support anything of beauty or value and I wondered why Roy had spent good money on them.  I watched him feed them and water them and prune them and talk to them.   And so, when he brings in daisies or roses for me to enjoy, it is a true gift that I have not earned but treasure.

My life reflects a process much like our flowers.  My seventy-three years of life have taught me many things (and you'll read some of them here).  One of them is that it was wise, and safe to put my entire existence in the hands of The Master Gardener (God) as a young person.  I have spent much of my life foolishly trying to tell Him how to feed me, or water me and that I certainly don't need pruning!  But here I am, all these seasons later, a woman of some beauty and great value as a result of His care.

You won't read a whole lot of religious stuff here, but you'll be exposed to my opinions of what constitutes true spirituality.  I can't help it, it kind-of falls out of my mouth when I talk about most everything from grandchildren to cooking (at which I am less than gifted!).  

Finally, if you ever choose to post a comment I only have one request.  Be Gentle.  There is no way of knowing how much any of us have already been pruned today.

4 comments:

  1. Miriam,
    Congratulations on your first post! My first post felt awkward too, like I was baring it all for the world to read. But I guess that really was my purpose, to introduce myself.
    I love the statement, "i still plant flowers." You truly embody these words and inspire me with your zest for living. I look forward to reading along with your journey on this blog.

    - Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miriam,

    Your post touched my heart. Thank you for sharing and spreading some "fertilizer" in our gardens. Wisdom nourishes.

    Warm regards,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miriam! Very nice. You have a way of expressing so colorfully deep truths. I like seeing your heart in this. Wonderful! Risky though, but wonderful. You have my full support.
    Love, Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miriam, Congratulations on your new blog! Yay for you! Yes, it's strange to launch a blog, but you did it! I've been at it about a year and a half. Not long, and I'm always learning. If I can help you in any way, just let me know. Keep your wonderful words coming. I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete